DO YOU KNOW the symptoms of Varicose Veins?
For many people, varicose veins and spider veins — a common, mild variation of varicose veins — are simply a cosmetic concern. For other people, varicose veins can cause aching pain and discomfort.
Sometimes varicose veins lead to more-serious problems.
Varicose veins may not cause any pain. Signs you may have with varicose veins include:
- Veins that are dark purple or blue in color
2. Veins that appear twisted and bulging; often like cords on your leg
When painful signs and symptoms occur, they may include:
3. An achy or heavy feeling in your legs
4. Burning, throbbing, muscle cramping and swelling in your lower legs
5 .Worsened pain after sitting or standing for a long time
6. Itching around one or more of your veins
7. Bleeding from varicose veins
8. A painful cord in the vein with red discoloration of the skin
* Color changes, hardening of the vein, inflammation of the skin or skin ulcers near your ankle, which can mean you have a serious form of vascular disease that requires medical attention.
Spider veins are similar to varicose veins, but they’re smaller. Spider veins are found closer to the skin’s surface and are often red or blue. They occur on the legs, but can also be found on the face. Spider veins vary in size and often look like a spider’s web.
When to see a doctor
Self-care — such as exercise, elevating your legs or wearing compression stockings — can help you ease the pain of varicose veins and may prevent them fr
om getting worse. But if you’re concerned about how your veins look and feel and self-care measures haven’t stopped your condition from getting worse, see your doctor.
Varicose Veins Treatment
Treatment options for varicose veins include minimally invasive Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLT), foam Sclerotherapy and compression. It is best to consult with an experienced varicose vein doctor, who can recommend the best treatment option depending on the condition of your veins.
Dr. Henry Childers of The Delaware Vein Center is a board certified cardiothoracic surgeon with nearly two decades of experience in vein disease and vein treatment. His surgical experience combined with his finely honed procedural skills ensures patients who receive vein treatment receive successful and lasting results.